Monday 11 March 2013

Birds of Milford


Hey Guys,
As I alluded in a previous blog I would be doing a blog about the birdlife I encountered on the Milford Track.  If you are not immediately taken by this topic I am puzzled but perhaps this isn’t the blog for you. Consider yourself warned.
In no particular order here are the birds I saw and a few random facts about them.  I included a professional picture so you could see what these birds actually look like.

Tui

The tui has such an interesting song; it also has a little white plumage on its neck.

Bellbird/ Korimako
My bellbird pic


This bird is so named because when a bunch of bellbirds get together it sounds like bells ringing. It isn’t much to look at, but they sound so beautiful.

Fantail/ Piwakawaka
Fantail's butt

Front view

Slightly more professional 

Ok, this is my favourite bird but also the hardest to photograph. They fly right up to you and dance around you like little butterflies in groups of 2 and 3. They have these fans for tails (hence the name).

Tomtit/ Miromiro



I seemed to see more males than females, but they are a lively little bird of the forest, always easy to hear.

New Zealand Robin/ Toutouwai


This bird is super friendly; they come up to you when you’re eating lunch. They also aren’t much to look at but what they lack there they make up in personality.

Kea

The world’s only alpine parrot. They are pretty mischievious, they will rip apart boots, windshields and the like just for fun. They are so cool to look at, though, especially when they are flying and you can see the red underwing.

Wood Pigeon/ Kereru


This bird is more likely to be heard flying than calling. They are much larger and more beautiful than the common pigeon. They are pretty clumsy sometimes and try to land on branches too light for them.

Weka


This is a flightless bird that isn’t afraid of people at all. Once I was eating a sandwich and a weka jumped up and stole the last bite right out of my hand!

Now, I only talked about birds I saw on the Milford Track. Conspicuously absent is the kiwi bird. Hopefully I will see one on Stewart Island!

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure you just got all of those pictures off the internet... There's no way you spent that much of your day taking these.

    ReplyDelete