Friday 31 August 2012

My first big kid job

Sorry for the delay all,
So far I am loving my locum position at Massey Farm Services. It is 90% dairy but as Jared already alluded there are the occasional surprises.
This is "Goatee" in his sweater...right before I put a ring around his balls

 The dairy industry is quite different here than the North American system. Yesterday I treated an 11 year old dairy cow for Mg grass staggers, not something my friends back home would be doing much of. Here are some pictures of a milking shed.

It is all out in the open, this particular one is a swing over herringbone. K, enough nerdy dairy talk. The clients here are all so nice and laid back, not too much gets them worked up! I love that I get to cruise around all day checking out the countryside and the scenery, talking to farmers.


A couple of days ago I went through the Manawatu Gorge, which had been closed since October 2011 because there were a bunch of mud-slides (they call them slips!) which took out portions of the road.
The Manawatu River running through the Manawatu Gorge
One of the multiple "slips" that made the Gorge unpassable for almost a year

Until next time, thanks for reading all the way to the end and hope things are going well on your end!


2 comments:

  1. Loving the blog! Great to see you guys are having a good time, miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great adventures so far you two!! Don't worry Jared, even after 2 weeks of driving our little rental car in NZ Tim still turned the wipers on instead of the blinker....hmm I hope he doesn't read this, haha. Sweet looking ride, well done :)

    ReplyDelete